Travel: I traveled to a few places this year including Edisto Island not far from Charleston, Eastern Canada, National Parks near Las Vegas, and Kansas.
- Edisto Island has great bike paths. It is a beautiful island where the beat is slow. A great place to relax, fly a kite, and fish.
- Canada has a beautiful French community, Quebec City. Complete with statues, cobblestone streets, funicular, and street murals. If you don't want to fly to Europe, go to Ottawa and Quebec City. You won't be disappointed.
- Canada has some different foods. One of them is a Beaver Tail. Fried dough in the shape of a beaver tail which is covered with several options. The one I tried is apple slices with cinnamon and sugar- all blended together. Similar to a pie filling. Very tasty. They also had chocolate toppings with bananas or caramel with nuts. I would recommend splitting one because they are so big.
- Meeting people around the world is great. I've made some great friends from other states. I will be visiting new friends in S. C. when I'm there in January.
- 10 grand kids can be a challenge. Especially 2 mos., 2 years, 3 ½ and 7.
- It is fun walking though the Mall of America and seeing your newborn granddaughter on the front of Oh Baby clothing store. A star was born on 2/26/2019. Let's see how this all turns out.
- Taking pictures with a lot of kids is challenging. Making the newborn babies head sit straight and getting all the kids to look at the camera at the same time is a challenge.
- Rotten Tomatoes is very reliable when it comes to reviews. I've never been disappointed with a movie that gets a good rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
- It's never to late to learn new things. Recently I went to a painting class and learned how to make a barn look old. Mix bronze paint with your red. It gives a worn look. You are never to old to learn new things.
- Weight Watchers has some great recipes. Their program has sever 0 point foods, and the program is easier than ever before. I am a life time weight watcher and just went back to the program after putting on some unwanted pounds. The holidays are a great time to go on a diet. You won't gain and you might even lose weight during the holidays.
- One of the things I really like to do is go to teas. One of them I went to was the Witches Brew in Lake City. A rustic house has been refurbished for teas. Everyone dresses up as a witch and the menu revolves around a Halloween theme. Our drink was called Swamp Water. It was a mix of fruit juices, pomegranate seeds mixed with dry ice. The dry ice made a hazy mist for about 10 minutes. I felt like I was on a journey into a far away land where anything could happen. I haven't tried mixing with dry ice yet, but it is on my to do list. I might try it for my grand kids around the holidays. How about calling it Frosty's misty concoction. Guaranteed for fun.
- Toastmasters can be challenging including keeping up with the paths and reaching goals. My goal last year was to get my DTM. My last step is to coach a club to get to distinguished. I am still working on it. Sometimes you don't reach your goals. You have to reassess and look at the strategy. It's more difficult being a coach than I anticipated. Just because I make suggestions doesn't mean that people are going to follow them. It has to be a team approach. Just like a family, you need to work together to make sure your club stays in business. Whose job is that? Everyone's.
I just told you what I learned this year. Think about what you learned. Remember, you're never to old to learn. My Toastmaster club has a 92 year old in the club. He is one of the most informed, wise, and joyous people in the club.
I hope you've learned new things this year. It keeps your mind younger. It's my birthday today and I'm thinking about what I plan on learning next year. Don't hesitate to travel to new places, read books, cook new recipes or try a new activity. You'll become a more interesting person and your brain will love you for it.
Judy Peterson, Travel Consultant, Peterson Travel Pros