I'm not sure I agree, but I think there are similarities and differences
- Staying at home you have a plethora of food in your fridge. You can make exactly what you want. If you want a midnight buffet, you can have one. Some of you may even have your own personal chef. On a cruise ship you have several options, buffet, sit down dinner, or poolside snack.
- Entertainment choices at home seem endless. You can choose from a variety of movies and shows at home, especially if you have Netflix, Hulu, or Apple TV. You also have the option to stream new movies. If you want to turn on music, you can dance to what ever you want. If you play and instrument, you can perform your own live music. On a cruise ship you have live entertainment, but it may not be to your liking. You also have access to various movies, bingo, slots, and poolside entertainment
- At home you have several educational experiences from taking a class, foreign language, to learning things on YouTube. There are some educational experiences on a cruise, especially when visiting a new city. You learn about the people, maybe take a cooking class, and sometimes get to try a new language.
- At home you have access to the travel channel. You can go anywhere almost anytime. There are many programs they take you all over the world. When on a cruise, you also get to see many different places.
- At home you can pick up a book any time. You can read in your back yard. When you're on a cruise, you might read a book. It could be on a beach, by the pool, or in your room.
- Exercising at home is pretty simple: take a walk, put on an exercise video, run on the treadmill, or ride your bike. On a cruise ship you have a gym to go to, but you might have to wait for a machine. There are also a lot of active cruises that incorporate exercise into the itinerary including biking, kayaking, and hiking.
- Shopping around your hometown is nice because you are familiar with the stores and there is usually a lot of them to choose from. On a ship, you might be inundated with specials on travel items such as hats, sun glasses, jewelry, and alcohol. At port, the stores are waiting for you, but you have a lot of competition from all the other cruise ships that docked at your port the same day.
- Meeting new people may be a challenge at home. However, you can invite your neighbors over. It might have been awhile since you saw them. On a cruise ship, you have an opportunity to meet people from all over the world. You might be assigned to a table with people from a different country or meet some new people on an excursion. The sky is the limit for cruisers.
It doesn't matter how you vacation at home or on a ship. Make sure you are comfortable and enjoy your time. However, during the COVID-19 you might have to choose a stay-cation. During your time at home, take time to dream about where you want to go next. You might even turn on your TV and watch National Geographic or Rick Steves' Travel Show to get some ideas. For ideas on what to do during the Stay At Home period, check out- Silver Linings during COVID-19.